Solutions in emission reduction and deodorization
Wastewater treatment plants are also strategic installations that restore the environmental balance of the impacts caused by human activity associated with the generation of these waters. In order to correct these impacts actions are required. The three most noteworthy ones are the elimination of contamination of water resources, the correct management and revaluation, if appropriate, of the sludge obtained from the process and the elimination of both emissions of certain compounds and odours.
Solutions for the reduction of emissions and odours
There is enforceable legislation both to control the emission into the atmosphere of certain chemical compounds and the amount of odour produced by these emissions.
In addition, if water treatment plants are located in sensitive areas or close to populations, they can sometimes cause social rejection. In order to integrate the treatment facilities into their surroundings, PESA Medioambiente develops different types of solutions in its projects:
- Chemical washing towers
- Traditional solution for the elimination of chemical compounds such as NH3, H2S and VOC by means of chemical oxidation that is produced in several steps by putting the air flow in contact with an acidic solution first and then alkaline, passing finally through a scrubber, obtaining elimination yields of 99%.
- Biofilters Percolators: Biotrickling
- Biological purification system in which the air flow is passed through an inorganic filling material with a high specific surface area, in which a biofilm of microorganisms is formed, which are responsible for removing the pollutant once it has been previously transferred from the gas phase to the liquid phase.
- Conventional Biofilter
- Conventional biological purification system which, unlike Biotrickling, has a filler of organic origin, such as pine bark, and with a much lower specific contact surface.
- Active carbon filters
- Solution based on the principle of chemical adsorption by passing an air flow through a column of active carbon for the elimination of NH3, H2S and VOC, obtaining elimination yields of 99%.